Google+

Thursday 27 February 2014

Inspiration for the Journey

When I was going through my inbox this morning I came across an email from a woman named Heather. I don't know Heather but I am certainly glad that she reached out to me.  This blog is about my journey....dealing with social anxiety, depression and the rest of the laundry list of mental health hiccups I am experiencing. Finding inspiration is a big part of my journey. Heather as it turns out offered me that bit of inspiration that I needed on my journey today. Ironically it comes from her sharing her own personal journey.  
Heather wrote:

Hi Tracy!

The reason I have reached out to you is because of your blog! My name is Heather and I am an 8-year survivor of mesothelioma – a rare cancer caused by asbestos exposure. When I was diagnosed, I had just given birth to my little girl and was told I had 15 months to live. After undergoing a risky surgery, which required the removal of my left lung, I beat the odds and created LungLeavin’ Day as a way to commemorate this day that changed my life forever.

LungLeavin’ Day is held every year on February 2 and it is used to encourage others to face their fears! Each year, we gather around a fire in our backyard with our friends and family, write our biggest fears on a plate and smash them into the fire. We celebrate for those who are no longer with us, for those who continue to fight, for those who are currently going through a tough time in their life, and most importantly, we celebrate life!

This year, we asked bloggers to participate and spread the word about LungLeavin’ Day. We created an interactive page Lung Leavin Day that tells the full story of our special day. Although the day has passed, we hope you will still check it out and share it on your blog. It would mean so much to me! Please let me know what you think :-)

Kind regards,

Heather

I have heard of mesothelioma...but i have never taken the time to learn much about it. I just added it to the list of cancers that are around. I am a mental health blogger not a cancer blogger right? Well, not really...I am more of a chronicler, recording the things that touch my life. Today that was Heather. I love the courage and strength that Heather has shown in sharing her story. Please visit Heather's site. I hope it offers you a little inspiration in your journey today too. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Canadian Cancer Society

No comments:

Post a Comment